Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

This year, living on the 3rd floor of a building, I don't have trick-or-treaters, which is probably good 'cause it kept me from re-filling the HUGE candy bowl my Mom bought me when she was out here visiting a couple weeks ago.

I dressed up and went to a party on Friday, which was fun.  My costume was a 1920's cigarette girl (borrowed from a volunteering gig I had at speakeasy themed Planned Parenthood fundraiser) only for this party, I bought a bunch of candy cigarettes, and then spent the night telling people how much cooler they looked pretending to smoke.

Saturday, Precisely and I stayed in and sufficiently freaked ourselves out watching the Exorcism of Emily Rose.  Very creepy, very well done, if I ever wake up in the middle of the night and see that it's 3am, I will freak out.  This is why having a roommate is good.  Tonight also premiers a new zombie television show in the time slot that used to be Mad Men, and since we live in Pittsburgh, we pretty much have to watch it, and will probably like it.

Last week, I went on a historic bar-crawl of Lawrenceville, organized by the Young Preservationist Association.  It was a great event, I met some really interesting people, had some tasty drinks, and learned SO MUCH about the neighborhood I lived in that I had no clue about!  The very first building we were in, our tour guide was explaining, was built on what was originally the village graveyard.  Apparently, she went on to say, the builder wasn't exactly very careful about moving graves over to the new graveyard, so this building was basically the house in Poltergeist.

"Is it haunted?" I asked.

"Well," she said.  "I don't believe in ghosts, but you can if you want."

I wasn't quite sure what to make of that answer.  And you don't have to believe in ghosts, to tell ghost stories, ESPECIALLY when you're standing in a building built on a grave sight 3 days before Halloween.

But I suppose that is why she is a historian, and I am someone who enjoys hearing ghost stories.

Happy Halloween!  Go Steelers!

No comments:

Post a Comment