Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Convenience and Camera Apps

It's been over a year since I got my iPhone, and we're still pretty in love. In fact, it's safe to say that the only other material possession I own and use and rely on as much as my iPhone would be my MacBook Pro, and sometimes when I'm working on my MacBook, while simultaneously using my iphone, I'm almost overwhelmed with happiness. Shallow and materialistic? Maybe. But, as Sheryl wisely said, If it makes you happy it can't be that bad.

Anyways, one of the reasons I was SO EXCITED to finally get an iphone was that it combined a lot of gadgets into one thing. Now my phone, my camera, and my ipod were all one. I mean seriously, you have the entire internet on that thing too. And this was sort of revolutionary because it means that when I leave the house, all I bring is my iPhone, my keys, and my wallet. Simple, so simple.

Now the problem is, that despite being able to transfer money in the palm of my hand while listening to music, the iphone's camera sucks. And I was ok with that because I'm not the biggest picture taker. Other people are, and since photos all end up on line anyways, it's just not necessary. So, I didn't worry too much about the camera thing.

Except that it did bother me a little bit. So one day while reading the NY Times, I saw an article on the best camera apps for the iphone. Apps that were supposed to really improve your pictures.

So, I read through it, and broke my rule about never paying for apps, and bought camera genius. Which is ok. Except that it takes forever to actually snap the picture, no matter how many times you hit it, and then the miss the shot, or people get angry, or you get bored.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading some blog, and there were all these great photos of the California Coast, and the chick who writes it was all "I took these great photos on my iphone using the hipstamatic app, so I bought that. The problem, is I haven't really figured out how to use this hipster camer app. Probably it's just so obscure, I haven't heard of how it works.

All of this is to say that I spent this last weekend in D.C. And it was lovely. We chose a very nice place for our capital. I saw monuments, and memorials, and the Hope diamond, and Michelle's Inaugural Ball gown, and danced, and drank, and ate, witnessed a basement record deal, and caught up with a friend from college, all while capturing none of it on film.

Today, a friend emailed me about some new great camera app, and I was about to buy it, when I stopped and thought really? 4 camera apps? Isn't that getting a little ridiculous?

Especially since they've come out with the new iphone which features a camera so good that were they to improve the resolution of the pictures any more we wouldn't even notice with our mere mortal eyeballs.

So obviously, the clear solution to this is that I should get the new iphone. Isn't that always the answer? Buying new apple products will solve your problems. Now, if Steve would go ahead and hook me up with the iPhone4, that would be swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment