Thursday, April 5, 2012

Home Again

The Duomo, Milan

On Monday, when I woke up, I was in Milan.  Which at this point, almost doesn't seem possible.

The trip though. The trip was amazing!  If you haven't taken a proper, longer than a long weekend vacation in a while, I highly recommend it. And if you need to relax, well, Italy will make sure it happens.

Bologna

The food! The wine! The trains! The art and architecture, and oh, my, gawd, the gelatto!!!!

Following Lynn in Rome. I'm sure she was talking about some Pope, or Emperor, or Columns or something significant here...

It was so wonderful to see my brave, beautiful sister. And we couldn't have asked for a better tour-guide in Rome.

Picnicking in Pisa

Carly, thank you for being an amazing hostess in Pisa. It was so fun to see this part of your exciting life, and I can't wait to see what you do next.

In Vernazza, Cinque Terre

To all of my new friends made on the trip, thanks for your openness and friendliness.  Thanks for the conversation, the wine, the champagne, and for taking us to a wonderful night club where we danced all night. Thanks for sharing your cities, or spending some time discovering a new place with us.

Photographing Bologna

Chris, there aren't many people I could have spent 12 solid days traveling with. Thanks for being flexible, for walking across the entire city of Milan with a back pack on no sleep, for whistling for that cab in Rome when it was after midnight and the subways were closed and we thought we'd have to walk back to the hotel, for having a great sense of direction and making sense of confusing maps, and of course for documenting the trip through thousands of photographs.

Hiking in Cinque Terre.

Some things I'm taking back with me from this trip:
- I want a pair of high-tops to tuck my skinny jeans into.
- I want a Fiat! Sorry Mini Cooper, but they're adorable, cheaper, and get great gas milage.
- I've talked about it for ages, but it's time to outfit Gladys (my bike) with a basket.

There was seriously a warning sign against wearing stilettos while hiking. I can't tell you how much this sign made me love Italy. Though honestly, after watching Italian women navigate ancient cobblestone in 5 inch heels like its no big thing, I bet they could hike in heels.

Traveling, however fun it may be, isn't real life though.  And sometimes coming back is hard.  But not so much this time. This week has been a blur of catching up with friends, rewarding work at a new office, and beautiful spring weather in Pittsburgh. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome home. You're what makes living here so special.


The artist drove us to the airport, house-sat, got our mail, kept my plants alive, and was the first to welcome us back. Isn't she the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment