So I might be in dating hibernation mode right now, but that doesn't mean I can't offer unsolicited dating advice to the internet.
The following was actually a response to a friend after she emailed me to tell me she was going on a date and was super excited and nervous. Then another friend who read my response told me I should make it a blog post - and here we are!
Because dating is fun, but sometimes it can be hard, and really it's something that I think we should all do more of.
- Relax and have fun and don't put pressure on it just cause it's a date.
- Any time you need new conversation filler - just ask questions - people love to talk about themselves.
- Wear something you feel comfortable in, nothing is more distracting than sitting on a date concentrating on the fact that your shoes hurt, something is too tight, or fidgeting with an ill fitting piece of clothing
- Don't check your cell phone unless you have to.
- Laugh at his jokes. (but only if they're funny)
- Utilize the forearm touch
- Offer to pay, but if he declines, offer to pay for the tip
- If you're having a good time - keep the date going, suggest after dinner drinks, or coffee, or something
- If you had fun, and want to see him again, say so.
- If, at the end of the night you want to kiss, don't be too shy to initiate it. Or just tell him to initiate it. (Guys can be real wimps about that.)