Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sizes. ::sigh::

As most women are aware, you are never one clothing size, because each store/designer/label has their own way of sizing.  This is why we have to try things on, and why a good tailor, not diamonds, is a girls best friend.

The NY Times just wrote an article on the ridiculousness of sizing throughout the apparel industry.  I myself can attest.  Last fall I bought a new pair of size 8 jeans from the GAP, because after training for the Philly marathon, my size 8 jeans from Banana Republic were too big. (They're owned by the same company!) I have skirts in sizes 4-10 and they all fit. Usually I'm an 8-10 in dress sizes.  When I called a boutique to order a bridesmaid dress last month however, I was informed that according to my measurements, I fall between a 12 and a 14.

Despite all these different sizes, my measurements remain the same.  So, hey, could we drop the sizes and just start measuring things in inches please?

Last week I was visiting my parents, and my Mom and I spent an afternoon shopping.  We stepped into a Chico's where the following took place.

Saleswoman- "Have you shopped at Chico's before?"
My Mom- "No."
Saleswoman- "Ok, well welcome!  Just to let you know, we use feel good sizing, so a 0-4 is a 1, a 6-10 is a 2, and a 12-14 is a 3."
Me and my Mom- ::blink::
Saleswoman: "Let me know if I can help you find anything!"

Later while looking through a rack of clothes...

My Mom- "Wait, so what size am I again?"
Me- "I don't even know, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  You know what makes me feel good? Knowing what size I'm supposed to try on."

We didn't buy anything.

Can we please start acting like men and Europeans, and measure our clothes by our actual measurements, and not some arbitrary number that is supposed to make us feel good or bad about ourselves?  I promise you, clothing manufacturers, I have more important things to think about and remember, and when I shop, I'd really just like for it to be easy, and not require trying on 3 different sizes of the same garment, until I discover what size I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment